Spend an incredible morning admiring magnificent Blue Whales rising from the depths of the aquamarine seas, dramatically diving back into the tranquil waters, and frolicking with their calves blowing enormous balloon bubbles. Mirissa is a small fishing port on Sri Lanka’s south coast, popular for surfing and today famous for whale watching. The waters around Mirissa are particularly rich in plankton, a group of micro-organisms that whales feed on. One of the world’s top locations for watching the extraordinary Blue Whales, sightings occur on most mornings during the season which spans from mid-November through to early April.
The trick is to be patient and serenely survey your aquatic surrounds. Fortunately, these Blue Whales are resident year-round in these waters, but but best viewed off the south coast when the waters are calm. Encounters of mother and calves, pairs of males and females are recorded every season. Pods of Spinner Dolphin are often seen, while Sperm Whales are occasionally seen especially around December and again in March-April. In recent years super pods of Sperm Whales numbering over 30 individuals have been sighted. Bryde’s Whale, Orca (Killer Whales), Risso’s Dolphin, Bottlenose Dolphin and Striped Dolphin are among the other species of cetaceans which are spotted a few times each season.
Notes to remember,
- The trip starts at 07 in the morning and you have to be there at around 06 in the morning to get the tickets and find the best spot.
- Wake up call will be given by your chauffer driver according to time duration to go to the starting location
- You may wear normal and light clothes.
- Make sure to always look at a far distance and keep your eyes away from short distance to avoid sea sick.
- small snacks,drinks and water will be provided on board